Here are a few of the most important tips to keep in mind when planning your questions:
- Ask only one question at a time, wait until the answers are given before adding a follow-up.
- Leave space and quiet for participant to process, and respond
- Listen to the answers and offer positive encouragement and feedback.
- Repeat or paraphrase answers to help others hear and understand.
- Adjust questions from one participant to another to match abilities.
- Ask a variety of types of questions, with different types of responses.
- Ask fact- based questions or questions with only one correct answer
- Ask recall questions – whether recalling from previous conversations, or from past experiences
- Argue with participants or correct their answers
- Rush or jump in too quickly to over-explain or fill silences.